Most of our tenants under pensionable age will be required to make a claim for Universal Credit. If you are not eligible for Universal Credit, you may be entitled to housing benefit.  The housing benefit scheme is meant to ensure that people have sufficient income to afford the rent on a reasonably priced home. If you are on a low income, you may be able to get housing benefit.

To claim, you will need to fill in a housing support claim form. Forms and additional information can be found at your local Revenue and Benefit office, or via one of the following links:


Click here if you live in Mid-Sussex 

Click here if you live in Horsham

Click here if you live in Adur


You should claim as soon as you think you may be entitled as there are strict rules about the time limits for submitting claims.  Housing benefit claims can only be backdated for one month for working age claimants, or three months for those of pensionable age. If you would like help to make a claim, please ask to make an appointment with one of our Money Matters Advisors by emailing or calling 01403 226000.


Discretionary housing payments

These are special payments to help you if the housing benefit payments you get are not enough to pay your rent. The scheme is meant to help you with short term emergencies and the amount of support available is limited.

There are no set criteria and each application is treated on its own merits. However, they will consider:

  • the amount of benefit you get and the amount you have to pay
  • efforts you have made to reduce your rent
  • your financial and medical circumstances and those of anyone living with you
  • your income and expenditure and that of anyone living with you
  • if you have any exceptional circumstances


You can apply to your local Revenue and Benefit Office for an application form or further advice.